Monday, December 27, 2004

2004's Most Anticipated: A Lookback

My list of the movies I'm most looking forward to in 2005 - featuring witches, zombies, an odd abundance of Shirley Maclaine, and cowboys - will be up sometime over the weekend. I figured that now having seen all the films on my 2004 list, I'd give a quick lookback. #1, as you may recall, was Cursed which was also kind of #1 in 2003. Will it be #1 in 2005? Will it even be released in 2005? I don't know. I hope. Here's the rest of the list:

1. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Why was I looking forward to it? I loved the concept and early images were very promising.
Was it worth the anticipation? Yes.
How did it do with critics? Pretty well, actually. Some loved its style and retro-coolness, others thought it was slightly trite.
How did it do at the box office? Bomb. $35 million gross from a $70 million budget. Stupid audience!

2. The Bourne Supremacy
Why was I looking forward to it? I'm a big fan of the first and love non-cheesy espionage thrillers. Matt Damon is one of my favorite actors.
Was it worth the anticipation? Hell yes.
How did it do with critics? Just as well as the first one did. Some critics loved it and its showing up on several top 10 lists here and there.
How did it do at the box office? Blockbuster. It outgrossed the original by almost $50 million with a total of $175 million.

3. Troy
Why was I looking forward to it? The bronze, golden god-like mancand....I mean, the epic feel and big budget spectacle to it all.
Was it worth the anticipation? No.
How did it do with critics? Mostly 2 star reviews.
How did it do at the box office? Domestic gross wasn't particularly strong but it soared overseas.

4. The Stepford Wives
Why was I looking forward to it? LOVE the original and when I heard who was involved with the remake I just couldn't wait.
Was it worth the anticipation? A slight yes.
How did it do with the critics? Its making the rounds on some "Worst of the Year" lists but most of the mainstream critics found it to be a fun, but forgettable romp.
How did it do at the box office? A miss. I never expected it to make more than $50 million, however, especially with so much liberal humor thrown in.

5. Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Why was I looking forward to it? Is she aware her daughter is alive?
Was it worth the anticipation? You betcha.
How did it do with the critics? Its already on over 50 top 10 lists.
How did it do at the box office? Grossed a rather amazing $67 million, a strong showing considering the first made about $70 million and it seemed like the type of sequel that wouldn't top 75% of the original's gross.

6. The Aviator
Why was I looking forward to it? I heart old Hollywood.
Was it worth the anticipation? Yup.
How did it do with the critcs? It should end up on over 100 top 10 lists and take home the Best Picture Oscar.
How did it do at the box office? The awards should put it well past $100 million.

7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Why was I looking forward to it? That cool cat cast and damn nifty synopsis.
Was it worth the anticipation? You have to ask?
How did it do with the critics? The second most acclaimed film of the year behind Sideways.
How did it do at the box office? $35 million, enough to make it a small spring sleeper.

8. Shrek 2
Why was I looking forward to it? Was anyone not looking forward to it?
Was it worth the anticipation? No.
How did it do with the critics? Very well for most. Some, like me, were disappointed.
How did it do at the box office? Highest grossing movie of the year.

9. Vanity Fair
Why was I looking forward to it? It seemed like Reese's chance to breakthrough and Mira Nair's chance for huge critical success.
Was it worth the anticipation? Yes and No.
How did it do with the critics? A very divided reaction.
How did it do at the box office? Not so well.

10. 13 Going on 30
Why was I looking forward to it? Jennifer Garner dances 'Thriller.' Enough said.
Was it worth the anticipation? Yes.
How did it do with the critics? They loved Jenny and were partially fond of the movie.
How did it do at the box office? A large opening but surprisingly small legs, yet enough to make a tidy profit for the studio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home