Friday, July 09, 2004

Random Thoughts: .....

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - 4/10
Though it acheives more laughs than this summer's Dodgeball, the film seems like such of a waste of potential. The cast does what they can with their "roles" but almost any laughs that come across are courtesy of the person, not the script. But the thing that really upsets me is the lack of genuine satire of the media and of news casters, in general. Sure, some are portrayed as walking egos, but this could really be applied to anything like it was in Dodgeball. Now, I have to admit that I laughed several times during the film, but none of it was really earth shatteringly funny. I find myself saying what I said several times already this year with other films: Imagine what Tina Fey could've done with it. Will Ferrell is funny, but Elf was a better showcase for him. Steve Carrell is probably the funniest character in the movie, but even he drew more laughs from his appearance in Bruce Almighty. And for your random babe, we have the lovely Christina Applegate. And get this!!! She was better utilized in The Sweetest Thing. While I feel that Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and either Wilson brother has talent, they really need to stop trying to emulate the Christopher Guest and his more talented group. One more thing: Let's stop with the outtakes at the end that are funnier than the entire movie that proceded it.

Fahrenheit 9/11 - 6/10
My thoughts pretty much align with what my pal Angie said on her blog except I can't say I enjoyed it as much. If you read this, you know me. I don't follow politics, but I do hate Bush. However, so much in this movie is just random facts thrown at you that it gets confusing. I guess a documentary should be like a paper, you need to explain your points clearly and have it flow and be cohesive. While Moore does the first pretty well, the second part just doesn't cut it. I do have to say that I love the opening and closing montage of Bush's cabinet applying makeup for the media. It says a lot. There is real power in portions of this film, but it gets really confusing. I'm reminded of what someone said on a forum about the TV show Alias when it gets hard to remember who is who and what is going on: bring Doris Roberts in and have her introduce everyone and what they do.

Garfield - 3/10
This is as manufactured as films can come. There is nothing new, nothing relevant and no other purpose than for the studio to make a quick dime. I miss the cartoon. One of the worst of the year so far.

Love Field - 5/10
Boys and girls, have you met my 6th favorite actress Michelle Pfeiffer. Love Field earned the actress her third, and sadly most recent, Oscar-nomination. Pfeiffer is charming as a talkative Dallas housewife obsessed with the Kennedys. When JFK is assassinated, she heads North to attend the funeral and pay her respects in hopes of possibly catching a glimpse of Jackie. From there, the movies interjects way too much story. It should simply be the characters. I love road movies, and where road movies usually go wrong is when they take the focus off of the characters and put it on the plot. Thelma and Louise somehow does both, and that's why it is probably the definitive road movie. Dennis Haysbert costars and pretty much plays the same character he did in Far From Heaven. Pfeiffer, as always, is great, but check out Batman Returns and The Fabulous Baker Boys before this.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - 8/10
I've been waiting patiently to see this movie and thanks to my new Netflix subscription, I finally did. My curiousity for this movie began when I read reviews of The Blair Witch Project saying this was similar. My curiousity skyrocketed when I heard PAHR described as The Virgin Suicides meets The Blair Witch Project. Yes, in a way it is. A group of Australian girls in 1900 disappear while on a picnic at a geological landmark called Hanging Rock. What follows is the fallout of thte private school to which they belonged and an obsession from boys who saw them before their disappearance. When it was released in 1975, it was advertised as a true story but that was later denied. You'll never find out what happens to the girls, though my hunch would be UFO's considering the hints we are given. But low and behold, according to other reviews I AM NOT SUPPOSE TO THINK THAT as this is a metaphorical film for sexual innocence. Don't ya hate that? I guess I'm stupid, though that metaphor most definately applies once you go over the evidence. Luckily, I told you this probably before you see the film and can examine it while watching it. PAHR is directed by Peter Weir, who I'm loving more and more with each film of his I see. The scene at Hanging Rock is just superb and is - to sound a bit like Marcia Brady - so dreamy. I will probably grow to love this film if I see it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home