Monday, March 07, 2005

Did you deduct 16lbs for your shoes?

I haven't posted much lately. I'll be back on Tuesday with my predictions for this year's Oscar season and on Wednesday actress analysis. The goal is to get the predix out before any contenders surface. Last year's task was impossible because The Passion of the Christ was released 2 days before the ceremony. This year, we have potential nominees Robots, The Upside of Anger, Melinda and Melinda, The Ballad of Jack and Rose and Sin City all due in the next month. Many of the prognosticators already have their predictions up and Cinderella Man, Brokeback Mountain and Walk the Line's two leads are on just about everyone's list.

I haven't reviewed anything in a while and have reached an epiphany. I'm not wasting time with most of the crap in the multiplexes now. Unless I want to see it right now, I'm not seeing it. The only other way is if it gets good reviews or people I trust say its decent. I will see Hitch, Bride and Prejudice, Constantine and The Jacket because I want to. Unless I hear good things about other films in release, I'm not going to bother. I've decided to stick with films on netflix queue for the time being since everything in theatres now looks so generic and haven't-I-seen-that-before?

Here's what I've watched since the beginning of the year and perhaps why I've made this life altering decision:

Boogeyman - 4/10
Hide and Seek - 4/10
The Wedding Date - 4/10

The Last Picture Show - 10/10
Norma Rae - 9/10
Silkwood - 9/10

See what I mean?

Anywho, the title of this discussion comes from a comedy that - get this! - is actually funny. Do you remember those? I was channel surfing and caught Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion about 15 minutes into the film. I've seen it about three or four times, but sat there after jogging this afternoon and watch the rest of the movie. This film is one of the rare comedies that stays as funny - and perhaps get funnier - with each viewing. Mira and Lisa are so perfect and there are so many great one liners. If you haven't seen it, do it. I guess it would be my DVD of the month, but I've given up on those. The movie also made me think about how if you were having a 10 year high school reunion now, the flashbacks wouldn't be so great. What? Everyone's watching Clueless and Seven, dancing like Uma and John, saying 'whatever!', wearing Seattle grunge attire? This would clearly not be as amusing or retro-cheeky as flashing back to 87 during 97. Romy and Michelle was released within weeks of Grosse Pointe Blank, another great high school reunion film. Rent them both!

Here's some quotes from Romy and Michelle to make your day a Romy and Michelle day:

"You look so good with blond hair and black roots its like not even funny."

"I was so lucky getting mono. That was like the best diet ever."

"You know, even though I had to wear that stupid back brace and you were kind of fat, we were still totally cutting edge."

"Why don't you go fuck a sheep, or your sister, of yourself?"

"Hey Romy, remember Mrs. Divitz's class, there was like always a word problem. Like, there's a guy in a rowboat going X miles, and the current is going like, you know, some other miles, and how long does it take him to get to town? It's like, 'Who cares? Who wants to go to town with a guy who drives a rowboat?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home