Thursday, June 16, 2005

Countdown to Bewitched: Early reviews say....

Take out the EWED in the title and you'll have what most critics will do when it comes to this movie. Not a surprise. Variety and The Hollywood Reporter have posted their negative reactions to the film. The Hollywood Reporter seems to like it a tad more than Variety but both weren't enchanted by the film. Pacing problems and a wasted supporting cast - considering the supp. cast is fairly large this isn't a surprise - are the two big culprits for the film's failure. However, both give it points for at least coming up with something new in terms of concept and are affectionate towards Kidman and Ferrell. I'm still thinking it will do okay at the box office: probably between $60-85m. I think audiences like Kidman in riskier mainstream fare (The Others and Moulin Rouge) then safe projects like this and last year's "bomb" The Stepford Wives. I liked that film, so while my expectations have been lowered for Bewitched, I still expect to have a good time. Oh well. I'll be seeing Bewitched after Land of the Dead next Friday. It's much more important to me that the latter is a good film due to my affinity with the previous films in the series. LOTD, however, is being greeted with favorable fan reaction. My countdown to both films will kick into high gear next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home