Wednesday, August 17, 2005

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN TRAILER DESCRIPTION!!!

I cannot tell you how long I've been looking forward to this. The last time I've been this hyped for a movie was 5 years ago. I'm not saying which movie as that would be totally embarassing. Those of you who know me well probably know which movie I'm referring to.

What Entertainment Tonight showed over an hour ago was not the full trailer. It was parts of it like they typically do. I understand why. The studio wants you to see the movie it will be playing with and I fully intend to see The Constant Gardener regardless of the fact that the Brokeback Mountain trailer will be on it. There's no doubt that certainly will be what gets my ass in the 3rd row center seat first showing August 31st.

What Entertianment Tonight showed over an hour ago was "narrated" the way they typically talk the whole way through their trailers. Again, I understand that they must do this and it not the anchor's fault for having to tell what the film is about. This does not mean, though, that I have to like Mary Hart.

What Entertainment Tonight showed over an hour ago was perfect.

It WAS the short story.

Now, it wasn't the entire trailer that we'll see in theatres in 2 weeks obviously.

Here's the run down of what happened:

Mary Hart introduced the clip by saying that two of Hollywood's hottest young actors were playing cowboy who fall in love with each other. Yada Yada Yada.

Clip begins:

Heath and Jake as Ennis and Jack (how I shall refer to them from now on) are in the woods with a gun. Ennis shoots and Jack says "woo wee!" A couple of good ol' boys killing time.

Jack stands leaning against a truck outside what is I'm assuming Joe Aguire's (Randy Quaid, not seen in trailer) office. Ennis leans against the wall.

Jack and Ennis ride up the mountain and to a meadow filled with sheep. They overlook the sight and then begin their work.

Jack: "Well, since we're gonna be working together, I reckon it's time we start drinking together."

A beautiful view of the Rockies.

Jack & Ennis walk towards a bar and then are in the bar drinking.

BAIT & SWITCH

Jack and Ennis in the tent. They almost kiss.

Jack & Ennis are now overlooking a grand vista. Jack: "It's nobody's business but ours."

Jack: "It could be like this. Just like this. Always."

Ennis holds Jack by the fire.

Jack drives away while Ennis's image is seen in the rear view mirror. Ennis walks away from Jack.

Alma (Michelle Williams) and Ennis get married.

Lureen (Anne Hathaway) sits in the hospitol holding Jack's baby. Jack smiles proudly.

Jack, now a rodeo cowboy, rides a bull during a rodeo competition.

Jack walks by a swing and up to Ennis's porch. They hug.

Alma: "Do you know somebody by the name of Jack?" Alma and Ennis are now in their kitchen.

Ennis: "We was fishing buddies."

Ennis & Jack are now together by a fire. Ennis: "This thing grabs hold of us in the wrong place, we're dead."

Two angry men look on.

Alma: "You don't go up there to fish." Ennis scolds her. Alma cries holding a baby.

Ennis and Alma sit in a truck at a drive-in while a B&W movie plays. (I don't know what the movie is.)

Alma holds Ennis in their house.

Jack stands shirtless on some kind of lake dock. Jack: "You have no idea how bad it gets."

Jack and Ennis are now in a truck driving along.

Ennis: "If you can't fix it, then you've gotta stand it." Ennis colapses in a barn while the sky is seen in the background.

Jack tries to hold Ennis. Jack: "I wish I knew how to quit you."

Jack and Ennis fight. Ennis pushes Jack on the ground then rides off on a horse.

Jack whipes away a tear as he drives in his truck.

Jack and Lureen dance at a bar. Jack is clearly thinking about Ennis.

Awww.

I'm sure I'll have pictures of the trailer very shortly if not the entire trailer.

I was going to make a joke about the trailer being "underwhelming" just to appease the Brokeback Mountain fans. They know what I'm talking about. :-)

My favorite moments of the trailer: Ennis says "we're dead" and Jack saying "always like this." *sigh*

First things first. Much of the dialogue and scenes shown were directly from the story. I'd like to thank Focus Features advertising department for realizing this story has diehard fans and it's almost a nice shout out to them. I nearly pissed myself when Ennis said "if you can't fix it, then you've got to stand it."

Second: Hathaway is not heard at all in the trailer, but looks beautiful. (As if the girl could not look beautiful!) We get no feel of what has been done to her character. For example, is she a bitch? Is she just a stereotypical rodeo queen? The short story barely mentions any characteristics of her other than she ends up slightly cold. Gyllenhaal looks good and I think looks the best when he is looking at his wife and newly born son. Some have already objected to his voice, but if he nails the yearning of Jack, he'll do.

On to Ledger and Williams: WOW! I just knew it. I'm really thinking little slut Jen Lindley will end up with an Oscar nomination. Alma Beers (Del Mar) is a killer role. She looks great. As far as Ledger, exactly as I expected. This would be his small role in Monster's Ball extended to feature length. His voice gave me chills and his accent sounds great. This is a knockout year for him and this or Casanova will solidify him as a force to reckoned with. He's introverted. He's confused. He's Ennis.

The cinematography looks great on the ranching scenes but really wasn't highlighted too much in the minute or so that was shown. The music used might have been Gustavo's score however it sounded slightly familiar. It's possible that Focus used one of his other scores for the trailer.

However, the thing that first struck me upon seeing this trailer is how small this film is. It only cost $11 million. It's an indie. Ang Lee returns to his roots. Then again, the man delivered Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on a $15 million budget. I've noticed that In Her Shoes and Walk the Line also cost about $30 million. I'm really hoping they can continue to make modestly budgeted films like these with real bonofied talent. This "slump" definately needs it.

Speaking of Lee, he needs to be mentioned in the full trailer. I don't care how many Hulk's the man has made, he is one of the best filmmakers alive. You can make 100 Hulks or Ride With the Devils (neither of which were really that panned) and as long as you deliver one Crouching Tiger, The Ice Storm or Sense & Sensibility you're fantastic in my book.

Finally, there was no Randy Quaid, Linda Cardellini or Anna Faris in the trailer. I was not expecting to see Faris as the funny lady has stated that her role in this is smaller than her performance as Cameron Diaz in Lost In Translation. Er, I'm sorry. "Kelly" in Lost In Translation. Cardellini I was expecting to see as she plays an integral role in Ennis's development. She's probably the foremost addition to the film, having only been briefly mentioned in the story. I've also heard her role is larger than Lureen. Quaid just should be in there because he's Randy Quaid and some people are probably more familiar with him than the man cast. They'll probably all be mentioned in the trailer just in passing.

Again, I'll try and post some pics and I, like all the trailers I provide links to, will only post the trailer when it is in proper quicktime format.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic synopsis, Darren! That was gorgeous. :D

(BTW - the movie that Ennis and Alma are watching at the drive through is 'The Misfits". How appropriate.)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Thanks, babe. I just Netflix'd The Misfits. I'm so bad. When I first saw it last night, I thought for a second it was Cybil Shepard in The Last Picture Show and it seemed like a nice in-joke. Oh well.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home