Saturday, April 08, 2006

WGA's 101 Greatest Screenplays

Here's the Writer's Guild of America's List of the 101 Greatest Screenplays. Obviously, as this is an American guild, the list is very American centered.

Now, I love Casablanca. But...greatest screenplay of all time??? I could have sworn that All About Eve is supposedly the best written film ever.

My personal preference would be Network. You have a brilliant and thought provoking idea, terrific dialogue, fully explored characters, an engaging story, sharp turns, etc. It's the full package. And, it was completely prophetic.

I question the inclusion of Star Wars. Star Wars? Does a great movie have a great screenplay? I considered A History of Violence one of the best films of the decade, but it does not have a great screenplay. It was all in the approach to the story courtesy mostly of the director. Also, semi to fully improvised films that would seem to have great screenplays are MIA on the list. Rightfully so? Maybe. I'm thinking Nashville or Lost In Translation. Then, there's witty approach to a screenplay: think Clueless or Scream - but they'd never make the list due to their young audience.

Regardless, here's the mentions I'm most happy for:

-Adaptation
-Annie Hall
-Being John Malkovich
-Dog Day Afternoon
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
-Fargo
-Groundhog Day
-His Girl Friday
-Psycho
-Pulp Fiction
-Sideways
-The Graduate
-The Silence of the Lambs
-Thelma and Louise
-When Harry Met Sally...

1 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I too questioned the inclusion of "Star Wars," as great as it is, but the most egregious inclusion is "Forrest Gump," quite possibly the worst movie of all time .. my No. 1 would have to "Manhattan"

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home